Yeesh….. less than 1 month left to go. Will I be lost without my dehydrator and the frequent whirl of my food processor? Highly doubtful. But summer’s bounty continues to make raw dining not only pleasurable, but downright exciting.
Today’s recipe for ‘Tuna Tartare’ falls into the cro-magnon category, the same arena I touched upon back in June with my ‘Beef Carpaccio’ recipe. What this means is that only about 5% of raw foodists would even consider eating such a dish, as the other 95% are vegan.
Like other sushi grade fish such as salmon, scallops and prawns, tuna provides tasty clean protein in combination with a good hit of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. If you are concerned about potential mercury content, seek out your sources. I recommend Iron Maiden’s ‘Albacore’ tuna, as these fish are caught at a younger age, off the northern coast of Vancouver Island, before toxins have had a chance to accumulate to the same levels as many other varieties of tuna, which have been caught at a more mature age and often in more polluted waters. As always, do your homework….. especially if you are considering eating raw meat, fish or dairy products.
150 grams fresh sushi grade tuna
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T fresh, finely chopped chives
1 t capers, rinsed and roughly chopped
Juice of ¼ lemon
Salt & pepper
Garnish: chive blossoms or fennel fronds
Chop the tuna into a very small dice, about ¼”, using a very sharp knife. Mix with the olive oil, capers and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in 2 chilled cocktail glasses and garnish with chive blossoms or fennel fronds.